Monday, March 8, 2010

I'll Be Ready -- 5 Minutes After It's All Done

February is usually more or less a nightmare for me, given the last few years I seem to be getting seasonal defective disorder. This February was no different. As its early March now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The week of February 15th, however, was hectic. My grandfather died the Friday before and I had missed classes that week from the road conditions. Already behind the Monday after, I was attending calling hours and a funeral that would destroy the rest of my morning class attendance. I started to panic because in the back of my head, I recalled Professor Rigney telling the class we had two makeup quizzes, no exceptions. I missed her class last Monday, the 7th, and then missed her class on the Monday after, the 15th, for my grandfather's funeral. Luckily, I contacted her and she was much more flexible than I expected and understanding of my situation. I got to make up the test I missed because of my grandpa's funeral. My other professors were equally understanding, and Ms. McCullagh and Mr. Stewart were both extremely helpful and reassuring through that hard time.

Despite those struggles and stressors, I've also had my share of triumphs. In my psychology class at the Salem Campus, I scored a 106 on our first exam, tying for the highest score in the class. And trust me, I earned it. I spent hours studying for the exam with the multimedia disc to the course, reviewing notes, and re-reading the chapters in the book. On the flip side to earning my keep, just yesterday I found out we were not reviewing for our Great Books 2 exam, we were taking the Great Books 2 exam. Although I did no studying, I think I did really well on it. Hopefully that's the last time I pull a "high school' in a college class, seeing as I did no significant studying in high school, unless you include cramming before the tests.

Since Spring is around the corner, track has become mandatory this week, and I'm making baseball practices when I can. The upcoming months promise tighter schedules then I've already had. March is just a sling I always get shot out of into Prom and Graduation season; and if you haven't already realized, I'm not going to be ready for any of it 'til about 5 minutes after it's all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment